Bodycote is the world’s largest provider of thermal processing services, which improve the properties of metals and alloys, extending the life of vital components for a wide range of industries.
Despite its dynamic international presence and superior products and services, the Aerospace, Defense & Energy (ADE) Division believed it lacked brand recognition among its three core industry sectors. The new division leadership wanted to position Bodycote as the global leader in the thermal processing sector by boosting awareness of its broad portfolio of services and immense global footprint. Internally, there were challenges, too, with employees often failing to fully understand the importance of their role within the company.
ADE’s leadership retained Griffin to develop and implement the Division’s first, three-year, strategic communications plan to address the external and internal challenges mentioned above. Griffin managed the following:
- Planned and conducted market research – surveys at key tradeshows to test global brand awareness; customer satisfaction surveys.
- Drafted and implemented a media relations campaign during tradeshows to announce ADE news.
- Developed white papers for use at technical conferences and repurposing them through advertorial opportunities.
- Created two “safety-related” advertising campaigns; negotiated media buys with top industry trades, including Aviation Week & Space Technology, Aerospace Manufacturing, Air & Cosmos, Oil & Gas Journal, Platform and more.
- Drafted, designed and produced a suite of collateral materials promoting ADE’s various sectors and plants, including multi-page, oversized brochures and flyers.
- Developed a 3-minute, 3-D marketing video that introduced prospective customers to Bodycote and ADE services, as well as the Hot Isostatic Pressing (HIP) division. Tasks included: drafting the script, developing story boards, coordinating filming logistics and art directing the shoot.
- Provided creative consultation for Bodycote’s tradeshow booth at OTC and Paris Air Show tradeshows.
- Coordinated multiple customer dinner receptions tied to the OTC and Paris Air Show tradeshows. Tasks included: securing venue, producing invitations, developing presentation materials, talking points and on-site collateral.
- Developed an internal communications campaign under the theme “What You Do Matters.” Campaign was executed through banners and posters shipped directly to ADE plants, and later evolved into an employee uniform/patch recognition program.
- Created a quarterly newsletter, Making ADEfference, as a means of keeping employees informed about news within the Division, as well as serving as a job educational tool. Translated in English, French and Portuguese. Griffin managed copywriting and design of every issue.
Upon launching the proactive marketing push, ADE consistently increased awareness and boosted division sales each year, becoming the most profitable division within Bodycote.