CVR Energy is a diversified holding company primarily engaged in the petroleum refining and nitrogen fertilizer manufacturing industries.
Under the direction and in cooperation with CVR’s Vice President-Corporate Affairs, Griffin provided crisis communications support to assist the company in dealing with three major incidents: a 72,000-gallon oil spill caused by a massive flood and two plant explosions. Services included:
- Made real-time adjustments to existing crisis communications plan
- Developed key messages for senior executives to use with media
- Drafted/distributed multiple statements and other press materials to media as news developed in the aftermath of the incidents
- Drafted/issued employee communications materials (including incident updates and media response policies)
- Fielded inquiries from local media, national news bureaus, industry and financial trades
- Tracked all editorial coverage of the incidents; measured tone/context; corrected inaccuracies
- Worked closely with local, state and federal agencies, as well as nonprofit entities (i.e., American Red Cross, The Humane Society of the United States, etc.) to provide community assistance
- Managed stakeholder communications
CVR Energy already had a comprehensive, easy-to-follow crisis communications plan in place prior to the onset of each of these incidents. And Griffin had the opportunity to enhance it. With all CVR Energy executives having a clear understanding of their roles and responsibilities, Griffin served as an even stronger outside asset during these three, stress-filed crises. This led to efficiency and helped the company more quickly return to a sense of normalcy. Most importantly, CVR Energy’s comprehensive response to each incident helped it solidify its brand identity as a leader within the petroleum refining and nitrogen fertilizer manufacturing industries.