L-3 Communications, Inc.
L-3 Communication’s Mission Integration Division leads the world in developing and delivering Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance (ISR) technology and complete airborne ISR platform solutions. The company developed SPYDR, a next-generation, small, manned airborne ISR platform specifically designed for military and civilian customers looking for flexible, multiple intelligence solutions.
SPYDR needed a branding strategy and launch plan for its unveiling at the Royal International Air Tattoo 2011, in preparation for a complete global roll-out four months later in Dubai. However, numerous challenges faced the Griffin team:
- Product was still in the production phase, therefore no visuals to drive the branding process.
- Couldn’t show SPYDR in its entirety or mention key technologies because L-3 was still obtaining international marketing licenses and ITAR approvals.
- Competitors were already to market.
- Extremely aggressive deadline … less than two months, from start to finish, to complete the branding strategy and launch plan.
Through a fast-tracked discovery and brand development process, Griffin gained immediate traction and was able to launch multiple collateral deliverables simultaneously:
- Built brand strategy around the L-3 MID team, their expertise and passion, along with the product’s capabilities.
- Devised a teaser campaign strategy that revealed only partial elements of SPYDR, with a “coming attractions” theme that instilled excitement and a sense of urgency among customers to want to learn and see more. This strategy is best reflected in our launch video.
- Developed a strategic communications launch plan and produced all tactical elements including: pocketfolder, marketing brochures, website, static display, promotional items, advertisements and media relations.
As a Result
Griffin delivered all brand and marketing campaign deliverables on-time and 10% under budget.
Team Behind the Product
The “team behind the product” brand strategy enhanced L-3’s global reputation as the ISR leader, squelched competitor claims and served as a valuable internal messaging tool for employees to help sell the product.